History

Images from our past!

Carousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel image

Our Building's History

Center Church is the oldest church building in the City of Meriden. It is the third building that this Church has used for worship. The first building was erected the year the Church was gathered in 1729 on the corner of what is now Ann Street and Dryden Drive. The second Meeting House was built near our present location in 1755. The present beautiful structure in Colonial style, patterned after Greek architecture was built in 1830. You will notice that it resembles a Greek temple with the addition of a steeple. In the early days of our city, Town meetings took place here. This was also the center for anti-slavery meetings prior to the Civil War, and our Church covenant at the time required members to be opposed to slavery.

For a history of Center Congregational Church, written on its 285th anniversary, click here.

To view the 2015 Capital Rehabilitation project, click here.